I bought the car for 200.00 in July of 1987 when I was only 15. The owner bought it as a project car, but decided to sell it instead.
My Dad and I bought a used engine and put a mild cam on it, installed a TH400 (that was not easy back in 1988). Removed the power steering rack and found a manual drag link. We rebuilt the front and rear suspension, repaired the floors and worked on the body so it was presentable (bondo). I manually removed the top layer of paint and spray painted the car in grey primer. We had the original seats recovered in black vinyl and installed new carpet. I was driving it by early 1989 on a high school budget! I won plenty of street races at that time and was loving the car.
I enlisted in the Navy and while serving, saved money and bought parts for the full restoration. GM Fenders and full quarter panels (in the boxes) were stashed and the slow-going project began. While home on leave, I would make appointments with Mondello’s Auto body to have the body work completed in stages while I was away. When I got out of the Navy, the body work and paint were finished in 1995. The roll bar was installed in 1996 by Marty Denko race cars after I made a sub 11 second pass and the track operator told me I couldn’t race the rest of the day.
In 1997 I installed a S&W ladder bar kit with coil springs and shocks.
I have been driving and currently racing in 11.50 Index series for the last 6 years.
The car has run a best of 11.15@122mph with more potential since that pass.
(I have to explain the grill emblems… A good friend of mine Dave Moran gave me this reproduction SS grill. I like the Chevy II emblem better than the Nova but didn’t want the hole left open. So I cut off the Nova from the SS and left the Chevy II. It is new so I am not sure what I think of it up to this point.)
Engine & Transmission
- Block 1972 350 4 bolt main bored 30 over
- Crank: Cast crank cut 10/10 with chamfered oil holes
- Rods: Race prepped pink rods
- Pistons: TRW forged flat top with moly rings
- Heads: Dart 2 Sportsman cast iron, Fully ported and polished by Andrew Starr, with 2.05 Intake and 1.625 Exhaust.
- Rockers: Harland Sharp rollers and custom length pushrods
- Intake: Port matched Vic Jr.
- Carb: Pro Systems modified 780 Holley
- Headers: Hooker Super Comp 1.75” fenderwell headers
- Ignition: MSD6AL, MDS dist and Crank Trigger, Taylor 409 race wire
- Griffen 2 row aluminum radiator
- Factory fan shroud
- 18” Electric fan
- Stewart HV aluminum water pump
- 8” 4500 A-1 stall converter
- TH400 race prepped by myself with a full manual valve body
- Dennys performance drive shaft
- Ford 9” rear with 4.86 gears and a spool
- Stock front end and brakes with Kevlar front brake shoes. Idler arm replacement kit.
- Ladder bar rear suspension and stock drum brakes